Re: UO:Saviour nearing alpha

I gonna play revelation now :/

too bad Zenroth lost his mind.
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 10-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Squire

Medwin is on a distinguished road

I am perplexed at the closure of Saviour. The shard was in alpha. Lack of players, maybe, but the alpha forums were private. There was no auto account creation or ads on topsites. It is fair to say a low alpha player base would be all one could expect.

The shard was very well put together in my guilds opinion. RoT, low flow of gold, small map, reds in town, no statloss, single character, and a good pvp rule set were great things to bring together, which uo:s did.

History shows players are generally hard to please this should have not been a surprise. To compound that RP guilds seem too easily discouraged. I've seen them jump from shard to shard, never content, always providing scapegoats as to their failure. Word of mouth is PEE's entry into the shard and their aggressive play may have expedited the RPers discontent. I'm disappointed this may have had an influence on the shards closure.

PEE brought six new players to uo:s but the doors of the shard have shut. I am perplexed at the closure of Saviour.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Gangsta

Falxx

agreed. zen lost his mind imo.

revelation still the new toy. so i go play with it.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Squire

PEE is looking to play there too. I'm not happy about the t2a ruleset but whatever.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Annoying Growth

Zenroth is on a distinguished road

Saviour was closed down due to an issue which couldn't be corrected at current, lack of my time.

When I started Saviour development back in March of 2009, it was with Weaver, whom was suppose to be a co-owner, and primary developer of Saviour as my time even back then was quite constrained. Sadly this proved to have been a bad decision, given his continual absence.

Despite this, I carried Saviour forward, eventually releasing Alpha, with a co-owner suppose to return any week now, and with essentially all other developers, and advisers having long lost interest in the project. (A giant thanks to Gum for returning and to Corwin, Subishi, and Talus who still remained at least semi-active as advisers, unlike many others.)

Some questioned why the Alpha took so long to come, let alone the expansion that didn't appear. The answer has never really been given, but its a simple answer. Across 2009 I had a missing co-owner/developer, my father died to cancer, my relationship broke up, and then I inherited supporting and caring for my Mother, and my brother's daughter due to abuse.

Combine this with a increase in work hours being demanded, and my own business on the side, and I was left with trying to find time for anything. I'd steal hours constantly from work, and from my own business, to try an do something for Saviour.

In the end this was affecting both jobs, and the quality of what Saviour began as, and what it was envisioned as, continued to slide, simply due to lack of time. Yesterday I was back at a lawyers office, as I soon enter into a legal custody nightmare, which promises to consume more time and resources.

In the end Saviour was shutdown, to prevent something worse, a slow painful decline, and death of it anyways from neglect.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Squire

Thanks for explaining.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Grandis Vir

Vaniir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Zen I dont blame ya! I know all about time constraints on RL crap. I dealt with finding out I was married to a crack whore (more or less), facing a future as a single father because I'll be damned if I let my kids be raised by what the only other alternative was, along with trying to keep a job and anything resembling a social life... Dont be hard on yourself. You did an amazing job carrying the load on your own when you completely expected to share the burden along with all the other crap that has fallen on your shoulders.

I wanted, from day one, to help with advising the Saviour team but time would allow it then. When I did get free time, UO:S didn't appear to be moving much (around the time Weaver disappeared). By the time Alpha rolled around, I was already committed to AI. Not committed to the shard but to the friends that depended on me. Then life got busy again and I had zero time for UO in any flavor.

So again, do not beat yourself up. You did the best you could but RL is always >>> UO, no matter the role we decide to take.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Glorious Lord

Wufnu is an unknown quantity at this point

Corwin continued to exist after leaving these forums? That's a fallen tree question if ever there was one.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Lowly Peasant

Chance is on a distinguished road

Good luck with all that you've got on your plate currently, Zenroth, and my condolences on the loss of your Father. Many of us would buckle under half the stress & work load you describe, I'm sure. The time that you've freed up can now be used on something like ... not going insane!!! Again, best of luck with everything and I hope that you don't look back at UO:S as a failed project, but perhaps as a project that you can return to someday when Life stops attempting to kick your ass on a daily basis. I had some fun times - thank you for making it possible.

As much as I've flamed & hated on Ryan and the Gamers Family of servers in the past, I do plan to check out Revelation at some point, if it ever launches ...
Old 10-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Annoying Growth

Zenroth is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I'll certainly be looking at continuing work on Saviour in the future if real life ever settles any, but ultimately it needs done right, and that takes a lot of time and resources.

Revelations looks interesting, but alas the gamer's business model still lives there, so from what I've read you'll have 2 accounts each at least, with 10 toons, with a store full of skill balls, resources, regs, and what not to buy. Which if skill gain is actually slow, will be quite a popular choice I'm sure.