Quantcast Rage - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > BV Offline
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Alora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alora Send a message via Yahoo to Alora
Rage

is a short novel by Stephen King I read back when I was a teenager. Found out that King allowed it to go out of print due to connection with a few school shooters in the 80s and 90s.

I bought a hardback copy of The Bachman Books, still in very good condition, off Amazon. Almost done reading, "Rage". I remembered what the story was about, but didn't remember a lot in terms of tone, and being inside that main character's head.

I guess it's probably good he let this story go out of print/publication. I can see how a psychopath/antisocial 17 year old who has revenge fantasies might idolize the main character.

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Re: Rage

It was the early 1980s and we lived in Massachusetts.

I was friends with a girl who was stabbed nearly to death with an ice pick. I was friends with her attacker as well. We were 13/14 years old. We were all friends, or so we thought. Only after it happened did we look back in hindsight and say, "Oh yes, she DID sometimes act jealous of her, didn't she?!"

The girl was very jealous. Jealous of the other's girls attractiveness, her clothing, her family, her popularity at school. We were all in the same circle of friends, but none of us knew that jealous girl's insides were seething with jealousy and ultimately hatred for this other girl.

One day while going through charade of being friends, she ruined new school clothes the popular girl just bought. She said by accident, but it seemed purposeful because the accident happened by her poking holes in sweater with sharp object.

Not long after this, she called popular girl and asked to meet so she could give her replacement sweater for the one she ruined. They meet on the wooded path between each other's neighborhoods. A path made by children, not a Parks and Rec path.

It seemed normal, friendly meeting, then she said, "Here, let's see if it fits.." and gestured for her to turn around so she could size the sweater, in that way you hold the sweater to the person's back and shoulders. When popular girl turned around, with her back to jealous girl ... I don't need to go into details about that part.

She left her on that trail, thinking she was dead. Just like that. 13/14 year olds. All by herself. Walked home. Acted like nothing happened. My friend wasn't dead though. - blinded in one eye, punctured lung and kidney, severed ear, many stab wounds, very badly hurt. Kids on bikes using the known kid's path found her. Got help.

Recently tried to internet search for the story. Figured I wouldn't find much. Got a single hit on an archived photocopy of the story in the local newspaper from the 80s (image of the entire page, was hard to read). Stunned everyone. The newspaper described the local police scratching heads saying - look at her, she's just this cute little girl... how does something so cute do this? They actually said something along those lines in the quote. HOW THIS CUTE LITTLE GIRL.. WUT?! SHES TOO CUTE?? HOW?

I am pretty sure I posted this story here before, maybe long time ago. Every so often, I remember that she used to spend the night sometimes. Close and chummy with someone who could stab you up close and personal, leave you on a wooded path. I think Stephen King triggered it this time. The scenario always struck me like a scene out of one of his novels.

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Well, I say I don't need to go into details, but I don't actually know them, other than that is when she attacked

Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Alien Soul

Meursault is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's crazy. Girl was clearly a psychopath. What happened to her? She must be dead or in prison. (I don't imagine she got much time in the 1980s as a teenager).

Love is heaven on earth.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

My family moved when this was going on, but a friend wrote to me and told me she was placed in a psychiatric hospital. I'm not sure if she did time after that or not. I think things were different back then. If you were that young committing such a horrible act of violence, they just chalked it up to insanity.

There might have been something to that with this girl. She was 1/2 Korean like me and I thought my mom would love her because of that, but she didn't. She told me she didn't want me hanging around her. I said, her mom is Korean like you! She goes, "I know who her mother is, she is michin." word for crazy in Korean

Old 10-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

My mom, as much as I liked to brush off her assessments of people's character when I was younger, is very sensitive / good judge of people's character. I was single, living alone in an apartment. She came over one day and said to me, "I saw your neighbor on his balcony.. stay away from him. He's a bad man." I said, "How can you say that? You don't know him." "I saw how he looked at me. I heard him talking on his phone." That's it? He's bad based on how he looked at you and hearing a snippet of phone conversation?? "Just stay away from him."

So one day I'm leaving my place walking to the parking lot and I pass him on the sidewalk. Something made me turn around and look at him after 10 or so paces. I was surprised to find him looking back at me, with a not very nice expression on his face.

I thought.. she is right, he is a bad man

She was also right about my ex. "He doesn't truly love you." I used to get so pissed off at her when she said this. HOW CAN YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT? That is so mean!! It hurts me!

She was right, I later found out.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

My mom could probably be a fortune teller if she was into such a thing, only because she's really good at guessing things about you based on very little time spent talking with you. She has told me things about a person that she just guessed, "They do not have a happy home life." or "They are the kind of person to do something bad, and not feel bad about it. Stay away from them." and after a time, getting to know the person, it would be like.. "damn...she was right about them. "

Old 10-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Alien Soul

Meursault is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alora View Post
My mom could probably be a fortune teller if she was into such a thing, only because she's really good at guessing things about you based on very little time spent talking with you. She has told me things about a person that she just guessed, "They do not have a happy home life." or "They are the kind of person to do something bad, and not feel bad about it. Stay away from them." and after a time, getting to know the person, it would be like.. "damn...she was right about them. "
That's cool. Very intuitive it seems.

Ask her about the Lakers/Blazers tonight! I'm thinking I should up my bet, because it looks like a steal. Underestimating Bron?!? NM, I'm adding $100. Easy money!

Love is heaven on earth.