Quantcast Beta Videos *updating - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > Online Gaming > Darkfall Online
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
The Stranger

Memnon is an unknown quantity at this point
Beta Videos *updating

This video (94MB) was taken with a high graphic setting, including shadows, on the first day I entered the beta . I was surprised how smooth the game ran with the shadows, considering how graphically pleasing (sorry doubters) the game world looks. Unfortunately, later builds forced me to turn off shadows during PvP encounters, and eventually turn them off altogether. The location is one of the human starter towns, Heart of Eanna. The churning sound midway through the video is a guard tower which protects the citizens from players flagging grey in town, murderers, and racial enemies.

Also on the first day I took this (65MB). Wandering near another human starter town, Monkfield, I heard the sound of a distant battle which turned out to be a 4 on 3 guild vs guild fight. The spell being cast is Mana Missile, a no reagent burning starter spell. Each spell has to be leveled up individually so macroing is, and will be upon release very common, and sometimes hazardous. I've jumped in front of a few mana missle macroers, flagging them grey with the end result of them being killed by the guard towers. Damn the macroers, I say.

There is only one "sure thing" in Darkfall. That is, eventually someone will try to jump in front of your swing to flag you grey. Being grey in a newbie area is trouble for new players, unlike in UO, grey killers don't have to be as patient, they can make their own victims. Here is a video (82MB) of spawn posturing, some players try for the perfect hit on the goblin, others try to jump into their swings. Watch the leggy girl with the topknot, she's lucky I'm the only one who saw her. The location is the goblin spawn outside of Monkfield.

Trip to the country gone wrong. (30MB) *an error during the conversion ended the clip prematurely. I died.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJffj_gvthw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfe bd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJffj_gvthw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfe bd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Two orcs (94MB) attacking players outside Monkfield. Notice the mouse over shows their names in blue as a racial enemy. Large battle can get confusing between mixed race guilds when trying to ID enemy targets. As of right now guild and racial enemies have no separate color coding, you won't flag grey on attacks however.
Alora (02-18-2009)
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Alora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alora Send a message via Yahoo to Alora
Thank you for those vids. I hope they do something about that grey flagging business.

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
The Stranger

Memnon is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not so bad once you get acclimated to it.

New players are susceptible because they are usually coming from games with target systems where they don't have to worry about damaging players on the same side. With the exception of heavy lag, it just requires people paying attention and knowing when to back out of a situation. Keep track of the people who use these cheap tactics, and keep a safe distance. They(the cheap shot flaggers) can also be flagged themselves. I wait until they flag someone and then get in their way.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Archmage

Algar
Here's a couple videos submitted by beta testers to the Darkfall team and posted on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDaygL5hjWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL55N7E1OYA
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Valiant Knight

SiN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alora View Post
Thank you for those vids. I hope they do something about that grey flagging business.
Its semi fixed. The made it so you have to hit someone twice within a timeperiod to flag.