Quantcast What was the name of that guy... - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > Siege Perilous WAR
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Valiant Knight

Gara is on a distinguished road
What was the name of that guy...

I think it was Orin Warrick? The guy who was one of the founding employees of Earth link and didn't need to work anymore so he played UO all day. Died IRL

He was in OGD. Was he the guy who won the fight night armor, the blue stuff. I think this was Sonoma still.
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 PM
*hates*

Mocker is on a distinguished road
Yes.

Orin was the best PvP warrior that I ever saw in UO, and a great guy taboot. R.I.P.

Infinite & Forever
Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Alien Soul

Meursault is on a distinguished road
Orin suffered from Cystic Fibrosis, a congenital lung disease that gradually robs you of your lung capacity until you suffocate. He never mentioned CF to anyone, although I think we suspected he was sick. From his obit, it's clear he lived a full life in his 25 or so years, including professional motocross and co-founding Earthlink, not to mention his UO accomplishments!

The last time we saw him was a couple months after Siege opened. He suddenly popped into our irc channel after a several-months-long unannounced absence. His disappearance coincided with the announcement and opening of SP, which bummed us out because he'd long railed against the dumbing down of UO that followed the introduction of rep/statloss. So we were all pretty psyched to see him. We gave him a decent amount of gold and spammed him with the details of ROT and SP in general. Then we took him on a Deceit run, during which we PK'd some random blues. At one point, Orin messaged that he was laughing his ass off in real life. He was truly jazzed to see old style grief. After debating whether to go (reluctantly) mage or try to make a warrior work, he logged off. Then he disappeared again. Didn't log on the next night, or the following, or for weeks after. We joked about him taking the money and running. But it didn't sit right. I got a notion and Googled (or Lycos'd!) his RL name and found a link to a memorial page. Turns out he had died a few weeks after that night in Deceit.

I saw a documentary once that showed the death of someone with CF. The gasping, drowning last breaths were hard to watch. Made you reflexively fill your lungs with air just to celebrate your ability to do so. Couldn't help wondering how hard it must've been for Orin to laugh that last night we saw him, when every breath was already a struggle.

Anyway, good guy and missed.

Love is heaven on earth.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Archmage

Mord is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocker View Post
Yes.

Orin was the best PvP warrior that I ever saw in UO, and a great guy taboot. R.I.P.
He was really good, but I put Fey above him because Fey had no magery and could still pull off some crazy shit. Orin ran with 90 magery and 10 herding (pre-statlocks), so he had the luxury of 40 point heals and cure spells, to mention a few things.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Archmage

Mord is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gara View Post
I think it was Orin Warrick? The guy who was one of the founding employees of Earth link and didn't need to work anymore so he played UO all day. Died IRL

He was in OGD. Was he the guy who won the fight night armor, the blue stuff. I think this was Sonoma still.
His name was Wes LeBaron. Earthlink named a building after him. Dude retired at 25-26 years of age. I was the same age and called him "lucky". Little did I know he had a disease and would die about a year later.
Tags: