Quantcast Aion by NCSoft - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > BV Offline
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Philosopher King

Crassus is an unknown quantity at this point
Aion by NCSoft

Quote:
Fantasy games redefines expectations of online role-playing.

First massive multiplayer game to allow play against another player (PvP) and environment (PvE) together.

Features supremely powerful graphical engine.

Take to the skies for transportation and battle.

Ryo Kunihiko's music seamlessly interweaves with on-screen action and atmosphere in the world of Aion.
Anyone tried this out to find out whether it's worth playing?

Launch is apparently Sept. 22. I haven't played Guildwars to know whether the company is any good or not.

Graphics are pretty. It might have no point other than being a feathered flight simulator game though.

The ridiculous claim highlit above sort of turns me off.

Thoughts?

Selig sind, die da Leid tragen, denn sie sollen getröstet werden. (Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.) - Matthew 5:4 / J.Brahms, 1865
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Alora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alora Send a message via Yahoo to Alora
I've like NCSoft games. I've played Lineage II, Guild Wars and City of Villains.

I wonder how successful Aion it will be at launch... it's releasing just a few short weeks after Champions Online.

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Valiant Knight

Sath has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I've tried it shortly - so far it seems much like WoW with wings. I'll have to wait and see how it plays out on higher levels. Haven't tried any PvP yet.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Completely Informed

Feral is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having a hard time finding games interesting these days. It just being a nice game with nice graphics doesn't do it anymore.

I think Shadowbane spoiled me actually. Such an in depth world. It's not just the character creation and group spec system, which was very in depth, but the political occurrences among the guilds made it more like a real organization rather then just logging on and messing around with a game for a little bit. It was a struggle to get everyone on the same page and working as a team. It makes every other game seem petty.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Alien Soul

Meursault is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
It was a struggle to get everyone on the same page and working as a team. It makes every other game seem petty.
Doesn't that get annoying after a while? I got tired of that part of UO, and it seems like it'd be even more difficult in SB.

Love is heaven on earth.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Completely Informed

It was harder to organize then UO, from what I remember. But the difficulty was also dependent on who you're playing with. Some guilds organized themselves much better then others. I liked the fact that it required a leadership element, at least during fights, and the group that worked the best together were the ones that would win. Team based combat.

With a guild like Vortex, there were a lot of people who would log in to mess around mostly, and even had some open recruited randoms for a long time, and so they were much harder to organize then a different a guild I played with. The other guild was more team oriented and worked together much better. Having 2, probably 3, priests was an integral part of group combat, and the other guild always had an overflow of people wanting to play priest, but with Vortex I was often the only one. And that's just the beginning, really.

Last edited by Feral; 08-13-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Archmage

Algar
I'm still trying to figure out the "First massive multiplayer game to allow play against another player (PvP) and environment (PvE) together" part.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Completely Informed

Actually now that I think about it, SB was easier to organize in some ways. UO was hard to get people to group up because everyone can operate independent of a group. A tank mage is basically the same as a centaur priest/warrior (halberd)/wizard in SB.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Alien Soul

Meursault is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
With a guild like Vortex, there were a lot of people who would log in to mess around mostly, and even had some open recruited randoms for a long time, and so they were much harder to organize then a different a guild I played with. The other guild was more team oriented and worked together much better. Having 2, probably 3, priests was an integral part of group combat, and the other guild always had an overflow of people wanting to play priest, but with Vortex I was often the only one. And that's just the beginning, really.
Vortexians have devolved (evolved) into casual gamers. I imagine it's very difficult to extract enough common play hours to accomplish much in a game like Shadowbane. That was the case with WoW, although WoW is probably a poor example as there aren't many compelling group goals save arenas and raiding and it's easy to dick around by yourself.

Perhaps if the game were conducive to once or twice a week scheduling, it'd work. Everyone online on Tuesday Aug 18th to save the princess or whatever.

Love is heaven on earth.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Death Knight

Kiril is an unknown quantity at this point
UO was at the right time for me and I guess a lot of others here too. I had loads of free time to play and seemed to be on with the same people each night.

I do like some of the games out now especially Eve and anarchy online to some extent, problem is I no longer have 4 hours to sit there and play at the PC so can't really get involved in much. Sucks to grow up!