Quantcast Aion - nearly done with week one. - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > Online Gaming > Aion
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Talon of Justice

Sorcha is on a distinguished road
Aion - nearly done with week one.

Sunday makes a week that we've had access. Serafyna is halfway through 20, hit 20 on Thursday. I've actually had to slow down, because a few friends of mine had a power surge blow their computer out Wednesday. So, in addition to Sera being 20 - I have four alts 10, 10, 11, 11 (ran two clients at once.) In 6 days. The first 10 levels are really boring for some reason to me, too much running around. Jared found it faster to just kill mobs and level up to get out of the intro area.

Jared and I have run into very few hitches. The first few days of playing was login mania. 400k in preorders were storming the servers. NCsoft was firm on their queues and it was some pretty horrible waits. Their reasons were solid - they were tweaking what their servers could handle, they knew they were getting flak for waits but would get a LOT more if the servers went down entirely or were unplayable from lag. The waits have dropped from 4 hours during peak time, to about 20 minutes last night. No queue most other times, so far. Within a week they fixed the queues, corrected an feature people were abusing to stay online afk 18 hours, and added two new servers in response to customers.

Jared had a few stability problems but they seem corrected. He's not sure if that was Aion or his newly installed W7.

We're getting close to levels where we will start hunting in areas easier for the other side to get to. Should be interesting.

As a side, for this game it's actually worth it to order the collectors edition. For $10 dollars extra you receive your level 30 wing upgrade for free in game and they are slightly better then the store bought wings (which would cost you 1m gold) At our level it's challenging to get 100k, much less 1m. I would rather have that money for other things, so I will happily pay the $10. You also get a few other decent items that will last you a while - a hat, earring, title that gives you stat bonuses, etc.

Serafyna - Asmodian Chanter (Zikel)
Mariposa - Asmodian Sorcerer (Zikel)
Alora (09-26-2009)
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Alora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alora Send a message via Yahoo to Alora
Thanks for the update.

Is there a sidekick system like in CoV/CoH?

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Talon of Justice

Sorcha is on a distinguished road
There does not appear to be. They actually do something interesting, once you outlevel an area the mobs no longer drop loot for you. So, some level 50 asshole can't sit around at a level 20 camp and steal the named mobs or farm it like crazy. It's an interesting way to keep the economy stable, and keep things fun for level appropriate hunting.

That said, nice gear does not seem to make or break a character - which I LOVE. I hate it when games are a battle of who has the best gear. So far, they seem to focus more on being able to customize your look, you can morph items to look like other items (graphically) so you can create the look you want. You can upload your own guild insignia. It's all about personalizing the game. Very interesting.

Character creation is crazy detailed. Not just 10 faces, 10 hair styles, etc. You can modify about 30 different features on 44 (I think) faces. The same goes for body details.

Serafyna - Asmodian Chanter (Zikel)
Mariposa - Asmodian Sorcerer (Zikel)
Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Alora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alora Send a message via Yahoo to Alora
Sweet. This is all sounding very good. I haven't seen this forum enthusiastic about a game in a while. Thanks for the Collector's Edition tip. I may go ahead and buy this game sooner than later

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 09-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Annoying Growth

Culain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Culain
So what level do you get to PvP? What style of PvP would you say it's most like?

WoW - all about the cooldowns? (or just rolling your face on the keyboard if your a ret pala >.<)
UO - All about the timing?

I'm downloading the client now, so slow though...
Old 09-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Gangsta

Zizon is an unknown quantity at this point
I love Aion.

Wow is gay.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Squire

Arryn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culain View Post
So what level do you get to PvP? What style of PvP would you say it's most like?

WoW - all about the cooldowns? (or just rolling your face on the keyboard if your a ret pala >.<)
UO - All about the timing?

I'm downloading the client now, so slow though...
20 to get to a zone that Elyos can get to. 25 to hit the Abyss. The entire world after 20 is PvP+ though so you always need to be on your toes.

It's a mix between the two imo. And if you throw in the chain skills and knowing when they're triggered for both you and your opponent, then factor in what stigma's a character may have it gets to be a little more tactical. That being said, there are still ganks squads rolling around, and there's not much you can do about them.
Tags: