Quantcast Sauce - Page 3 - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > BV Offline
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Archmage

Petri
Re: Sauce

I approve of Leon sauce on top of my post.

=)

**thanks Leon.

Overpaid Social Philosopher

Rob says:<br />all this anger he isn&#039;t letting out...it&#039;s only a matter of time! and it will be an awesome thing to behold
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 05-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Alora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alora Send a message via Yahoo to Alora

this recipe is from: The Classic Mediterranean Cookbook, Sarah Woodward.

Orecchiette Al Ragu

Ingredients:
3 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 lb slab bacon
3 garlic gloves, finely chopped
1 cup of red wine
1 1/2 lbs plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
13 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
bonquet garni made up of 1 fresh bay leaf, and 3 springs each:
fresh oregano, rosemary and thyme (use dried herbs if no fresh)
salt and black pepper
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup of finely grated Parmesan, plus Parmesan to serve
1/2 cup fresh white bread crumbs
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh parley (use dried if you dont have fresh)
12 oz. - 1lb , orecchiette (use spaghetti if you wish)

1. Heat the oil and add the onion and the whole slab of bacon. Cook over moderate heat for 20 mins, stirring frequently, until both meat and onion are browned. Add two thirds of the garlic and cook for 5 minutes longer (ALORA VERSION: the recipe calls you to remove the bacon later and set aside as a separate main course, but my advice is this: dice the bacon, buy a good slab, like center cut that doesnt have a lot of fat, cook the diced bacon with the onion, and drain.. this way you keep the bacon IN the sauce, it tastes great, you wont regret this alora modification) but if you want to follow the recipe, you'll cook the whole slab and remove it when the recipe calls you to.

Add 2/3 of the garlic and cook for 5 minutes longer.

Turn up the heat and pour in the red wine. Allow to simmer vigorously for 5 minutes, then add both the fresh and canned tomatoes and tomato paste.

Turn the heat down as low as possible, add the bouquet garni (if you have never made one, its the fresh herbs tied with a piece of cooking twine.. leave enough twine to hang abit out of the pot, so you can remove later with ease, or just use dried herbs). Salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and cook for 2 - 3 hours, stirring occassionally, the slower the sauce cooks, the better it will taste.

Meanwhile, mix together the ground beef, parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley and remaining garlic. Preheat the broiler.

Mold the mixture into walnut-sized balls and broil for 10 minutes. turning them 1/2 way through, until browned all over.

Add the meatballs to the sauce, which should be very thick and cook for 30 minutes.,

Boil the Orecchiette, cook until al dente. You could use spaghetti, but I love the orecchiette pasta. They're round little pastas with a dent in them, helps hold the sauce. You can eat this pasta dish with a spoon, which is kind of novel

(at this point, recipe says to remove the bacon slab, but hopefully you took my advice and diced the bacon and left it in the sauce)

pour sauce over pasta and serve with parmesan cheese.

-----

I konw it seems like a lot, but its really pretty easy and the sauce is possibly the best ragu Ive ever had. Your kitchen will smell delicious when its cooking Bon Appetite.

* by the way, the wine I like to use in the sauce is an inexpensive one by Bolla called Valpolicella, it has a nice spicy flavor and goes really well in the sauce, and as an accompanying wine at dinner.

Flavor is good, the moisture is many, succulent - it is. haze, Engrishfied

Edited by Alora (05/24/06 05:12 PM)

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

I like the information they give in this cookbook for each dish, and I thought I'd add that for you too:

Orecchiette al Ragu
"little ears with tomato sauce and meatballs"

Orecchiette, or "little ears" are the favorite pasta of the southern Italian region of Apulia and in particular its capital, the seaport of Bari. Served wih ragu, a slowly cooked thick tomato sauce, and meatballs, this pasta makes an excellent winter dish.

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
PK'ing avatards since '97

Corwin is an unknown quantity at this point

We just cook slices of bacon in the bottom of the pan, then remove and crumble it up to add to the sauce later.

We then cook down a ton of onions in the bacon drippings.

And then finally drain it, and deglaze with red wine.

mmm

Old 05-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Squire

Tick

I usually dont measure either, I go by taste... So ingrediants and maybe rough estimates would be more than enough for me. I make enough dirty pans when I cook that I just dont want to mess with measuring...

I'll have to try that meatball recipie, looks simple enough.

Tick -I-

Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Death Knight

Destiny has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ya the meatballs were so good!

Ok Tick here ya go my best guess!

You need:
6 cans of Tomato Sauce (I use huntz and of course not so many depending on how many your cooking for)
3 cans of diced tomatoes (1 can per 2 of sauce)
1 whole head of fresh garlic chopped
1 Bay leaf
Fresh oregano (I use about 2 small stems and tear it up)
Garlic Salt to taste
1 package sliced Mushrooms
1/2 cup good Red Wine (I use marsala)
1/2 cup chicken Broth (I make my own)
1/2 sweet onion
2 pounds hamburger (you can use sausage instead if you like it with sausage)
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Seasoned salt to taste (I use this )
Olive Oil

Now, I have a stock pot and a fry pan, I Put olive oil in each pan, just a couple times around, split the galir, and sautee the garlic in the fry pan and the garlic and the chopped onion in the stock pot. Once its done sauteeing, I add hamb (or sausage) to fry pan to brown I also chop my meat with the spatula so its very fine. Then I add all other ingred. EXCEPT the mushrooms and wine, To the stock pot (I usually use my chicken broth to rinse out the tomato cans)

Once the hamburger is finished dump it into the pot, Now I get lean Hamburger so I don't drain the grease (there isnt much) but drain if you have to much

I add the mushrooms to the fry pan and cook till they start to carmalize a bit, Then I add the wine and reduce. Add all of that to the stock pot and cook ALL day long.. Now, another thing I do, is after everything is done, I add my seasonings (pepper garlic salt etc) to the pot, then I don't stir it, as the day goes on it makes this nice crust on top then stir half way through the day if your home.

I hope I remembered everything hehe, let me know how you like it

"It's not as bad as my nightmares, not as good as my dreams" - Mario Batali

Old 05-29-2006, 02:48 AM
Archmage

Petri

I couldn't find Plum tomato, I go back tomorrow and then try to cook it. Also, my parmesan is some cheap brand. I like my cheese so I'll try to find a non-generic brand tomorrow as well.

Rob says:<br />all this anger he isn&#039;t letting out...it&#039;s only a matter of time! and it will be an awesome thing to behold
Old 05-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

plum tomato also called roma, so if you see the romas , get them. and just a tip, because the recipe doesnt say, to easily peel them, dip in boiling water.. allow them to cool a bit, they should peel very easily after that.

here's a good page on how to peel and seed tomatoes:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg.../peeltmat.html

Edited by Alora (05/29/06 09:12 PM)

Old 05-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Archmage

Petri

Thanks for the tips !

I'll have to wait to do this later in week when temps cool down. 90+ degrees, don't think I'll cook in this.

=)

Old 05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Gangsta

Argyle

I use fennel in mine. Good for that sausage taste without the added ass padding.