Quantcast Death of Trees - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > BV Offline
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Alien Soul

Meursault is on a distinguished road
Death of Trees

All American Ash trees could be gone within a few decades thanks to Emerald Ash Borer. There are apparently around 8 billion trees and the beetle has already taken out 50 million. No way to stop them outside of cumbersome yearly treatment.

https://www.americanforests.org/maga...r-ash-goodbye/

This happened with the American Chestnut tree in the 1900s when a blight killed almost all of them. There were over 3-5 billion and now there are only a few left, though genetically engineered resistant varieties have been developed and they may make a comeback.

Love is heaven on earth.
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 PM
BV Man of The Year

Mr X has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Death of Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
All American Ash trees could be gone within a few decades thanks to Emerald Ash Borer. There are apparently around 8 billion trees and the beetle has already taken out 50 million. No way to stop them outside of cumbersome yearly treatment.

https://www.americanforests.org/maga...r-ash-goodbye/

This happened with the American Chestnut tree in the 1900s when a blight killed almost all of them. There were over 3-5 billion and now there are only a few left, though genetically engineered resistant varieties have been developed and they may make a comeback.
I thought about planting an American Chestnut tree on my property border to piss off my neighbor. And if he tried to trim anything hanging over I could sick the feds on him for violating the endangered species act.

In Detroit, we don't have a knife problem. The knife motherfuckers got a Ted problem." - Ted Nugent
Old 07-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Alien Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
I thought about planting an American Chestnut tree on my property border to piss off my neighbor. And if he tried to trim anything hanging over I could sick the feds on him for violating the endangered species act.
You will need to get one of the resistant strains. Later you can get a GMO tree!

Once we get the American Chestnuts going we can bring back the passenger pigeon. DEAL

Love is heaven on earth.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Sensitive like Squirrel

Alora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alora Send a message via Yahoo to Alora

That is too bad did you listen to the Criminal podcast about the Treaty Oak? Story about angry guy who poisoned 500 year old tree. It still thrives, but it's lopsided now - had to cut a lot off, dead branches.

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 07-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Alien Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alora View Post
That is too bad did you listen to the Criminal podcast about the Treaty Oak? Story about angry guy who poisoned 500 year old tree. It still thrives, but it's lopsided now - had to cut a lot off, dead branches.
No, didn't catch that one. What a dick!

Story of the Chestnut demise made me think about how sucky it would be if a general blight hit us as it did in the Interstellar storyline. We could probably deal with it via genetic modification tho.

Love is heaven on earth.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:46 PM
BV Man of The Year

Mr X has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
You will need to get one of the resistant strains. Later you can get a GMO tree!

Once we get the American Chestnuts going we can bring back the passenger pigeon. DEAL
Some of the living trees they have found grew after the blight hit and were successful in fighting it off. Others lived in colder climates that the blight never reached.

They say they will grow for about 5 years before the blight kills them. So if they last after 5 years they might be resistant enough.

The resistant ones were an american/japanese hybrid. I don't want no half asian hybrid, all american here.

In Detroit, we don't have a knife problem. The knife motherfuckers got a Ted problem." - Ted Nugent
Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

I loved the woods where I grew up as a kid (massachusetts), there were a lot of white birch trees so the forest looked really nice in summer, green tops, white and brown trunks.. and winter looked amazing, white snow, on white bark.. I don't see a lot of this tree where I live now.

stock image of white birch

"Didn't I tell you, Don Quixote, sir, to turn back, for they were not armies you were going to attack, but flocks of sheep?" - Sancho Panza
Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Sensitive like Squirrel

on the bright side, areas of the Chesapeake Bay begin to recover from pollution, aquatic grasses/plants blooming again in areas that were dead zones.

so some of the red areas on the map show dead zone/not enough oxygen for ecosystem to thrive, have improved due to conservation/clean-up efforts.

Mocker (08-06-2018)