Quantcast UO Siege Perilous - Publish 5 - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > Online Gaming > UO Freeshards
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Lowly Peasant

Akarius is on a distinguished road
UO Siege Perilous - Publish 5

Since there are many Siege Perilous vets on this forum, I am wondering if any of you would be willing to help me clear up discrepancies that I find when doing research on Publish 5.

I'm almost finished with my Publish overview which goes from 1997 through Publish 15. I'm looking at Publish 6-15 in order to see if there are updates that reflect the current state of the ruleset prior to the update. Once that is done, I'd like to post some of the difficult rules here to see whether the vets remember them. The old evil/good system will generate some questions for sure.

Is this something people would be willing to do?

Thanks,

Akarius
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Lowly Peasant

Re: UO Siege Perilous - Publish 5

First question regarding the original Evil/Good system. The documentation indicates that when an evil player slays an innocent (non-hero, non-evil) character that the victim's loot remains with the ghost. I know this was used to ferry out gold from dungeons risk free.

The question is was it ANY damage from an evil character or did the evil character have to do the majority of damage for the loot to stay with the victim?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Philosopher King

Crassus is an unknown quantity at this point

Akarius,

It was any damage. The easy way of coding a solution to the problem is the following:

Check the IP address of the two accounts - if they have been on the same IP address within the last 5 logins of both accounts, disallow evil/innocent looting code. I believe you cache this last I knew.

This would solve the worst of the abuses. Sure, you could always work with a friend, or have two IP addresses, but it will make it more difficult.

Also, obviously, it shouldn't work if:

1. They are in the same party.
2. They are in the same guild.

Those won't fix it absolutely, but it will minimize the ease of its use.

I always thought I would construct a "friend-check" function which would do a couple of different hashing comparisons:

1. Are these toons on accounts that are friended to the same house?
2. Are these toons on accounts that contain guildmates?
3. Are these toons on accounts that have ever been on the same IP address?

If so, they are "friends" then flag accordingly on the innocent/evil code (and checks for jailing/abuse/cheaters/etc. would be easily found.)

I'm not sure what the overhead would look like, and it might be too deep a check to do easily. Then again, implementing just some of it might be pretty useful.

Also, it's too bad that I despise Adam so much or I'd play on that server. I love the hero/evil system, and I think it was one of the more intelligent implementations of the various flagging rule systems in Ultima. It needed a little more developer attention, but the bugs in it were all solvable. I really quite missed it. Ultima was never the same to me after I lost the ability to be dressed all in pitch black with [evil] over my head.

Selig sind, die da Leid tragen, denn sie sollen getröstet werden. (Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.) - Matthew 5:4 / J.Brahms, 1865

Last edited by Crassus; 04-28-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Lowly Peasant

I remember the old days and TAK tower. Good times for certain.

The goal is to get the shard to be as close as possible to the original during Publish 5.

Another question regarding the life force coloring of armor. My recollection was that once you removed the armor it returned to it's normal color during publish 5. How do you remember it?

Thanks for your input, Crassus. It's much appreciated.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Philosopher King

Crassus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akarius View Post
I remember the old days and TAK tower. Good times for certain.

The goal is to get the shard to be as close as possible to the original during Publish 5.

Another question regarding the life force coloring of armor. My recollection was that once you removed the armor it returned to it's normal color during publish 5. How do you remember it?

Thanks for your input, Crassus. It's much appreciated.
You are correct in your view on the armor. The [evil] black and [hero] white was a temporary color and the armor reverted once it was taken off. That's in any fashion. It was only 1 lifeforce so that wasn't a big deal. Many is the day that dying was a bigger bummer not because you got looted, but because you lost your cool black armaments.

Looking good was always more important to me than looting someone else; I suppose that's why [TAK] was an RP guild

Selig sind, die da Leid tragen, denn sie sollen getröstet werden. (Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.) - Matthew 5:4 / J.Brahms, 1865