Quantcast Convince an SB player Aion is the answer - Blathervortex

Go Back   Blathervortex > Category 5 > Online Gaming > Aion
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Philosopher King

Crassus is an unknown quantity at this point
Convince an SB player Aion is the answer

The only really compelling game I've ever played is Shadowbane.

If some SBer (like Fer) would provide analogies between the two games, I might convince myself to try it this fall after it gets the kinks out.

Selig sind, die da Leid tragen, denn sie sollen getröstet werden. (Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.) - Matthew 5:4 / J.Brahms, 1865
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Talon of Justice

Sorcha is on a distinguished road
We've preordered

We're playing. We've already pre-ordered.

Jared and I have been seeking a game to play.. and some friends turned us on to Aion. We played open beta the last week, and found ourselves excited by the opportunity to fly and pvp -- executed WELL. Killing stuff and leveling was nothing amazing, but its very smooth and polished.

Eye candy aside, I love the lore. We were Asmodian, the reluctant "dark side".. fighting the self righteous Elyos should be fun. I have high hopes.

Lumiel is getting the Aion Roleplayers group, Zikel is getting a large group from DAoC rpers. I am watching to see which community seems the stronger choice.

I came wandering here, wondering if any of our BV friends may be considering it.

Heather

Serafyna - Asmodian Chanter (Zikel)
Mariposa - Asmodian Sorcerer (Zikel)

Last edited by Sorcha; 09-14-2009 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: if website link is acting up - refresh it
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Squire

Arryn
Yeah, Heather and I are giving it a shot.

There are some similarities, but they're two completely separate games. Whether it's enough to give it a shot, I dunno.

Shadowbane was primarily a city building / siege style combat system, gain territory, build cities etc. In Aion, you don't really get to build your cities, the high level zone of the Abyss contains set fortresses that you fight over for control. From what I've seen reminds me quite a bit of DAoC's PvP zones or LoTRO's PvMP implementations. Given that, they've thrown in another little wrinkle, which are the Baluar (dragon peeps) who are mobs who are fighting for the fortresses as well. Makes for 3 way combat that can get pretty interesting.

There's not as much diplomacy or alliances as in Shadowbane, as there are literally only two factions you can be a part of, but I imagine coordinating the takeover of the fortresses could be pretty complex. The individual / small group combat of Aion looks to be pretty similar to that of Shadowbane.

From an actual mechanics and tactics point of view, flight changes things quite a lot. In Shadowbane flight was something to get over walls, stay out of melee range, and others, but didn't factor into tactics of how to fight. In Aion, everyone can fly for limited periods and it really adds to the dynamic. With potions and food you can pretty much fly forever in the Abyss. Also, flight is truly freeform, no levels you fly at, you basically can go anywhere. Which really adds another dimension (literally) to combat. Triggering skills, spells, melee and ranged feel very similar to any of the recent MMO's, including Shadowbane, so in my opinion that doesn't make much difference.

The character classes right now are pretty balanced, there are issues here and there, but pretty well every class that I've seen can actually take part in the combat. One thing you probably won't like is that there aren't really "builds" per se, every character is the same, except for gear and some things they call Stigmas. Stigmas are extra abilities that you slot that allow your character to do unique things compared to others of the same class. I imagine that "builds" will follow out of that, but that's at the higher levels. They're interchangeable, but to change them out you need Stigma shards, which oddly enough drop off of creatures in the Abyss (people needing to go out into PvP areas, this game isn't really PvP optional at this point, you have to go to the Abyss to get better).

The grind to high level isn't bad. Heather and I spent a couple of days and got to mid teens, and we didn't really play that much. 50 is the high level, I've heard of people hitting that in about 3 weeks of pretty hardcore play, so I imagine that more casual playing would see a character at 50 in about a month or maybe 2. AFK leveling is probably not possible though, so that may be rough to have a ton of characters at high level.

Anyways, that's off the top of my head. It's been a while since I've played SB, so my comparisons may not be 100% relevant or what you wanted.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Talon of Justice

Further considerations

It may actually be a game Severus would be willing to play, if that old lurker is still around. There is an assassin class that is right up his ally. Hiding and stealth.

Keep in mind this game is already far more polished the SB was. It's been out in Korea "live" for over a year. They made some westernization changes, but as far as stability of content and balancing goes - the Korean community has been through all those pains. Playing the beta had very few hiccups, all things considered.

I enjoy that it has the option to quest for experience, generally quests level you faster then grinding does. Items in the game are customizable. You can add modifying stones, so there are literally hundreds of combination you can choose to make your armor and weapons fit your playstyle.

Crafting is done well. Anyone can collect resources (you don't have to be an alchemist to get herbs, a smith to get iron, a cook to gather food) -- and the items you can make are actually VERY nice. I love useful crafting. You can raise crafting skill by doing "work orders" for the NPC - which is great. They give you a large portion of the supplies you need, you buy the rest, and you make what the NPC needs. Its an easy way to raise skill and not make 1000 breast plates to throw away. Wasting all of your resources.

As Jared mentioned - there is no building ownership. You get a bank, and legions (guilds) can have a shared warehouse. The Abyss is like a giant game of capture the flag? Hah. You conquer each others towers. PvP in massively large scale. You earn rank and points which give you status and access to other equipment.

They have chat channels. Guilds have a channel, and you can create new channels.

This is all I can think of at the moment. As I said, we only played for a week during open beta - but it was enough to convince us.

Heather

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Completely Informed

Feral is an unknown quantity at this point
I only made it to level 6. That was more due to eyestrain causing me to stay away from the computer then anything though.

It sounds like Sorcha and Arryn have a much better idea of what the game is like then I do.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Squire

Arryn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
I only made it to level 6.
Up until level 10 and the wings I didn't feel as if the game offered anything compelling. Felt a lot like EVERY other mmo out there. After I hit 10 and starting flying / gliding around I was sold. It is a really cool implementation. Forced PvP+ zones and decently balanced characters are icing on the cake.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Squire

Arryn
I just thought of another similarity.

They both have click to move. In Aion, you can use click to move control scheme or wasd control scheme.

I know that's a sticking point with some
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Completely Informed

I actually couldn't get it to operate like SB, even with the click to move. I ended up not using that. The reason is that when you rotate the camera in Aion with arrow keys, it also rotates your character, or if you rotate it with the right mouse button, it snaps the camera back to center when you release the button.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Talon of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
I actually couldn't get it to operate like SB, even with the click to move. I ended up not using that. The reason is that when you rotate the camera in Aion with arrow keys, it also rotates your character, or if you rotate it with the right mouse button, it snaps the camera back to center when you release the button.
Feral did you play until the 1.5 patch in open beta? I *think* they fixed that.

I'll check when I get back from errands.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Completely Informed

I'm not sure, but I played around the 8th.