Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Annoying Growth

Culain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Culain
So......

What's it like then?

Reading mixed reports of Darkfall...

Concept looks epic.. implementation looks poor so far..

Any views?

I'm still pvping in WoW (very boring) so could use a change....
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Valiant Knight

SiN
Much of the whining you hear about Darkfall is because it includes features that many people actually want and those that are whining donít. Sure some features need to be improved or removed ( recent introduction of floating icons over peopleís heads) but itís not game breaking stuff.

The game allows full pvp that is actually interactive.
The mobs are very tough because they have a great AI.
The world is probably one of the best I have ever seen. Completely seamless and you really can go anywhere.
Extremely stable client/server. Plus they are limiting sales as to not overload. This might go down as one of the only stable MMO releases.

I have been playing for a few weeks and have preorder two accounts. I really suggest you try the game for yourself and come to your own conclusions. All I know is this game brings back the adrenaline rush experienced in UO pvp.
Crassus (02-27-2009)
Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Annoying Growth

Thanks for the reply!

Can you give me a flavour of how the PVP mechanics work at the minute?

E.g is it timing based? Or does it rely on the use managing unique skills on cool downs? Or is it just a burst damage gank fest? What's are the 1on1 situations like etc?

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Valiant Knight

Gara is on a distinguished road
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiN View Post
The game allows full pvp that is actually interactive.
Too bad it's simplistic, gank based, and totally uninspiring.

Quote:
The mobs are very tough because they have a great AI.
The guy who posted the broken AI video didn't make it up. Also, considering that newbies have a couple of swings or an annoying mana missle, when the AI does work it's tough simply because the monsters are stronger and gang up on you. I didn't find it exciting like in AC or Wow.

Quote:
The world is probably one of the best I have ever seen. Completely seamless and you really can go anywhere.
Not really new? And lots and lots of monsterless empty landscape is not really the idea behind a large world imo.

Quote:
Extremely stable client/server. Plus they are limiting sales as to not overload. This might go down as one of the only stable MMO releases.
It's so stable the game servers weren't up for more than a few hours at a time 3 days after release? That was assuming you could even buy the game since their order servers were fubar, and still are?

I only responded to this post because I am so sick of the desperation of the fanboys. It's like Age of Conan or Fury all over again.

The game has serious flaws, mostly in the engine/server/interface. I used to think the only good thing it had going for it was the game rules though it was pointed out to me that with the stamina system and no travel spells (early on at least) it's just a gank game.

Don't get me wrong, running around with 10 guys ganking people is fun... for a little while. Not something I would log in for every day though.

The interface is worse than a Doom based RPG. The PvP is retarded having very little skill and just plain not being fun.

It has some good points but in it's current state it's not worth buying imo.

I like macroing but only when you're building to something fun later but I couldn't force myself to shoot mana missles into the air all night long in order to get a spell later on that cost more than you get from the monster/person you kill. Plus that mana missle sound got on my nerves super quick. Running around with a melee weapon consisted of clicking a button when you were near someone. No one can see how that gets old?

I say let other people pay for beta testing. If and when it comes to the NA market it may or may not be ready for playing but it's definatley not the messiah that all the fanboys keep making it out to be. I can remember lots of games that were a lot more fun during beta or release. DF was simply not fun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gara For This Useful Post:
Alora (03-11-2009), Crassus (03-07-2009), Feral (07-07-2009)
Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Valiant Knight

Gara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culain View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Can you give me a flavour of how the PVP mechanics work at the minute?

E.g is it timing based? Or does it rely on the use managing unique skills on cool downs? Or is it just a burst damage gank fest? What's are the 1on1 situations like etc?

Cheers,

Rob.

Shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, shoot mana missle, run out of mana, try to run away and sit down.

OR

Swing melee weapon at nub low on stamina from fighting monsters, miss, keep swinging till he either runs out of stamina from running or you run out of stamina from swinging and missing, nub uses log out exploit. Fight over.

OR

Bring 10 guys so that you can hopefully kill them before they use log out exploit.

OR

Assuming they fix the log out exploit, win because you started the fight with more stamina or you brought more people or you are slightly better at shuffling around to avoid the one move that everyone has.

Maybe it gets better later on but things were so broken I wasn't inclined to try and find out.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Annoying Growth

Thanks Gara.

That's a good summary of what I've read else where..

I do find it odd that a game that centres around PvP has such poor PvP game mechanics...

Meh...

Back to carebear wow :<

Last edited by Culain; 03-08-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: bads speelling and its grammor
Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Archmage

Algar
To put it WoW terms, what Gara described is the Darkfall equivalent to a level 19 BG. Obviously, things will be different at 80.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Ninja Pirate

Ism
Send a message via ICQ to Ism
back to uo freeshards for me...
Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Annoying Growth

So what's your view on it then Algar?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Archmage

Algar
Hell if I know... I haven't been lucky enough to buy the damned game yet. It's like I'm dealing with the soup nazi.

I did play beta briefly and what Gara described was pretty much how PvP went then. But most everyone was playing with noob skills and gear, not to mention alot of stuff wasn't turned on yet (like the higher schools of magic). I don't believe a single harbor, ship or siege weapon was built in beta, either.

Anyway, check out this link. These guys run live streams or you can watch archived footage when it's not live:
http://www.mogulus.com/dogsdarkfall
Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Annoying Growth

I watched that for 45 mins or so..

Hardly inspiring.. but then I guess I'll have to try it out.

Just seemed to be a halfway house between a FPS and Oblivion.. you didn't appear to need much skill to aim.

Also PvP mechanic wise.. All I seemed to see were people spamming either one spell, shooting arrows or swinging a sword.. It was hard to see so I can't judge too harshly, but like, I dunno... I was expecting more?
Sponsored Links (Guest Only) - Click Here to Register

Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Archmage

Algar
Instead of being an extra value meal, Darkfall is a diamond in the rough. Sure, you can wait it out until it gets more polished but let me ask you this: even in its current state, what's better? And carebear games don't count.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Grandis Vir

Vaniir is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algar View Post
Instead of being an extra value meal, Darkfall is a diamond in the rough. Sure, you can wait it out until it gets more polished but let me ask you this: even in its current state, what's better? And carebear games don't count.
Shadowbane.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Talon of Justice

Mrs_Peel
I'm having a blast so far. Yes, there's problems, and yes, there's a lot of good aspects. Some will see the darkfall glass as half-empty, some half-full. I don't think open-minded folks would see it as either all full or all empty.

We're on Yssam. Have defended our city from several sieges, while besieging our enemies (took CoS's city a few days ago -- very satisfying, and took the cities of those who tried to back stab us). With no recall/summons, territory has more meaning. Travel times are moderate -- too long to quickly get across the world, but not so long that it's not worth it to hop a raft/mount and head out (btw -- rafts are a blast, and I expect ships to be even more fun).

The game could learn a lot from shadowbane -- sieges for example. No time window, so you need to defend 24/7. We got some Asian clans to help cover the city during NA nighttime (had the Finns and other Euros hitting us in their prime time), which pretty much solved that.

Combat is different. There's some twitch skill involved, and some opportunity for skill to be rewarded. Teamwork isn't like shadowbane -- no neon signs overhead makes ID different. Friendly fire must be considered. Arrows drop (physics -- you can hit folks over the next ridgeline that you can't see), targets move while spells/arrows are in-flight, etc. Some say that darkfall pvp obviates some of the need for teamwork, I think it makes it more important.

The darkfall team is too small to have a good handle on things. They're making changes, but more are needed, and they could come faster. Cheating isn't rampant, but it's too common and obvious cheaters are not always removed in an acceptable time frame.

The game needs a decent computer. My previous athlon64 3500 was way underpowered (1-3 seconds per frame in big sieges). My new i7 shows no discernible slowdown in 200-300 person sieges. In the larger sieges (500+) I expect I'll have slowdowns and/or discos.

The game is relatively stable, but occasionally crashes. It's not WoW (currently), but didn't WoW have some problems its first months? DF had queue problems, but the last couple of weeks there has been no waiting.

Waiting for the game to be improved isn't a bad idea. Playing now isn't a bad idea either. If you have a better game then no reason to jump in now. Most of us are having a lot of fun, but I can see how some would not.